Friday, January 17, 2014

Knowing What to Throw Away and Knowing What to Keep

The other day I stood outside my closet looking in and said to myself, "This is pathetic".  And it was. Our closet is the biggest one in the house. The other two are small. Very small. You would think having the biggest closet would be a tremendous blessing.

Actually it's just a tremendous job.

This is why: There is no room in anyone else's closet. This is the indisputable truth. So everything that has to go anywhere, of course, goes in ours.

 "Where should I put this, Mom?", they say. And I look at "this" thoughtfully, and say. "Put it in my closet, I guess."

They never ever argue with this answer. That is the one upside of this scenario. The natives are completely happy with everything going in my closet.

But the results, after multiple months of this, are not pretty.

So I stood there looking at all the Stuff and I said to myself,  "This is ridiculous. There is no way we need all this Stuff." I labeled trash bags. "Goodwill" "Give to somebody" "Pitch" And I started hauling stuff out of there.

In the process I pulled out a sizable container filled nearly to the brim with letters and diaries. The letters were the ones the Chief and I exchanged when we were dating. We lived hundreds of miles apart. Calling long distance was expensive. Cell phones and e-mail hadn't emerged on the landscape. These were the olden days. We were lucky we weren't confined to sending smoke signals.

And my diaries! Dear and blessed repository for the overflow of my teenage heart.
I pulled the container out and pushed it in a vacant spot on the floor beside the dresser. My closet called.

But the diaries called louder.

I opened one and started reading. Cobwebs draped so many of those memories. Some of them lay entirely dormant, and I strained to remember people and activities that at the time they were penned had needed no introduction or explanation. Other times, good old friends and old familiar places came back to life.

I read how Mother and I played tennis in the mornings before we each went to work, she, to teach school, me, to my job at a publishing company. She nearly always beat me despite being 44 years my senior. The skills she had developed as the tennis single's champion in college trounced any agility edge I may have had. What fun we had!

I read about Dixie who disappeared into thin air, and magically reappeared on Christmas eve.
About my sister Kristin, who has always been the more industrious of the two of us, making deals with me that in essence extracted more work out of me than I would have otherwise produced. She was good for me. She still is.
I read about the stream of friends who called, and dropped by. The girl-friend drama. The boys who figured in somehow.

And the one who hung the evening star in my sky and upon whom the sun rose and set. From one diary to the next, year after year, he was featured heavily, if not in reality, in my dreams.

Suddenly, I was 17 again. There was no closet.

The Chief came home and he started reading them. He has always, since his first night-long diary-reading marathon a few days before our wedding, been a great fan of me keeping a diary. He settled himself against the headboard of our bed and began reading, a perpetual smile in his eyes. "You were already nuts at 17." he said presently. And a little while later..."I am certainly glad I didn't meet you after you were already married."

He must not have gotten to the place where I had, after much anguish of heart, determined to be available as long as he was.

Not long hence, after spending the long New Year's Eve drinking Pepsi and playing Settlers of Catan, we welcomed the New Year with open arms and sanguine hopes. (We're giving it the benefit of every doubt.) And then, like a Normal Person, I went to bed. To sleep. The Chief went to bed too. But not to sleep. He sat against the head-board again and read diaries.  Every ninety seconds or so he would start to laugh, and read me excerpts. At one point his tone was laced with perplexity, "My name doesn't even show up in this one till about half-way through." He said.
"Well!" I replied. "You never made any moves." Hope deferred maketh the heart sick.
"If I had had any idea!" he said. "If you had given me the least glimmer of a smile, even once, I would've had something to go on."

"Do you realize it's quarter of two??" I asked from the recesses of my feather pillow. He laughed and kept reading.

I quit keeping a diary when the natives were young. It's hard, when you're a young mom, to retain enough internal resources till the end of the day to be able to commit the day's events to paper. At that stage of your life it's a supreme victory to have kept everyone clothed and fed, and reasonably happy. If you've done it, you understand. If you haven't, you never will entirely.

Life is crazy when the natives are little. Unpredictable. Fun. Unexpected. Disastrous. Hilarious. But crazy.

I would call my mother on any given day to tell her the latest thing, and she would laugh in the most rewarding fashion, and say, "RHON! You better be writing this stuff down!"

I should have. But I didn't. I wish I had. Because if it's not written down, you forget. You really do. Maybe not the big things. But a million priceless little things; they are lost forever.

Today communication opportunities explode on the horizon like fireworks against a night sky. Facebook. Twitter. Texting. E-mails...we type out the details of our lives and share them with the people we know, and many we don't. But in 25 years, where will they be? What will we have? In the end, they are as fleeting as smoke signals.

This year, I will keep a diary again. I will.  There is no point in mourning the lost years. They are gone. But I have this day. This year. These wonderfully everyday life experiences. This stuff, unlike most of the Stuff that accumulates in my closet, becomes dearer with the passing of time. These are the treasures of tomorrow.

And maybe....someday....they will wheel my chair adjacent to the Chief's and he will read to me again. About how on New Year's Eve, 2013, we played Settlers of Catan till midnight, and how he read to me from my diaries till nearly 2 AM while I tried in vain to sleep. And he will laugh. And I will too. And after awhile I will say, "Babe, do you realize it's 8 o'clock? It's way past time for your medication".

And he will laugh again. And keep reading.

                          *       *       *       *       *       *

My sister, Kristin, the industrious one, designed an extra nice journal. Actually, she designed a journal, a one-year diary and a three-year diary. Vision Publishers published them for her and they did a lovely job, as they do with everything. In addition to having beautiful hard covers, and an inspirational scripture verse at the bottom of each page, they have thoughtful features inside. There's an appendix in the back to record the page numbers of significant events so you can locate them quickly. There are also sections headed "Family, Home, Friends", "Church, School", "Work, Hobbies, Miscellaneous" where you can record special events themselves, both for ease of retrieval and so you can expand upon a noteworthy occasion without overwhelming the confines of your daily entry allowance.
                                                                                                                                                                 


The one-year diary provides you with one full page per day, and keeps a year's events neatly contained to one book.

  

The three-year diary gives you 1/3 of a page per day. This works well for persons who like to touch the highlights and enjoy quickly comparing what happened on this years's date with last year's.
                                                                                                                                                                       
                                                                                                         
 The journal is undivided by date, allowing you to write as much or as little per day as you please, or to skip days, if you tend toward writing only occasionally. Or if you prefer a book for recording your thoughts, more than life events, a journal is perfect.

I have the journal. I can seldom stuff one-day's-worth of life onto one page. And I skip days sometimes, even when I am keeping one regularly.

 I love my journal! It doesn't have a whole lot in it yet, but at the end of the year, it will be brimming with life and memories...for our own enjoyment, and for the enjoyment of our children, and maybe theirs'... if it doesn't get lost in someone's closet.

Don't you want one too?  Yes! I know you do! So enter to win a free one! My sister is giving away a diary or journal, to whomever wins this snazzy easy-to-enter contest! So enter! Just leave a comment below. Any comment! And if you would like one and don't win one, you can order one here.

 Keep one yourself. And maybe give one as a gift to a child or teen in your life. A diary is a safe place to unload your heart, hone writing skills, and record your life events, unlike some of the current options out there.
And it will become more valuable with time. I promise.             

This contest will end at noon on Monday, February 10, 2014 EST. If you wish to enter and have trouble doing so, e-mail me and I will gladly enter for you! rjstrite@gmail.com                                          

47 comments:

  1. If I got the 3 year diary I could jot down those little incidents from these really full days with young children on that short 1/3 page . . .

    If it didn't end up in my closet. ;)

    The journal is probably more like what I've used in the past, though I think the daily discipline of writing, even just a little, might be a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll never be sorry, I can tell you that! But as much of a writer as you are I can imagine you busting the three year diary's space constraints! Maybe??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a terrible writer, I've tried over and over to keep diaries. I did some as a teen and have our dating recorded. I don't know if there is hope for me or not but I do know I would LOVE to have a journal that Kristen designed. How lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment will go down in history as the comment that won the free journal... just you hide and watch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was wondering too about your closet..... The journal would be great to have... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. If only I could record my history like Rhonda does!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only that was Bonita, not Tim!

      Delete
    2. Tim, did I go to Bible school with you at Messiah, many years ago?

      Delete
    3. Yes, indeed! I would love to re-connect a bit. Send me an update on your life to timbonita@gmail.com. I live in GA, and am headed to VA this afternoon for the week. Where do you live? Blessings!

      Delete
    4. Reply is in the mail!

      Delete
  7. LOL!! I have kept diary excepts over the years, but am sure that most people wouldn't get the same chuckles out of mine!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My journals are all under my bed. Someday I will...

    ReplyDelete
  9. If I could write as well as you I would keep a diary for sure. But as it is, I write with great inspiration once in a while, most often at the beginning of a new year, and the results are scattered here and there in various notebooks along with the grocery lists, or the number of well intended empty books I have tucked among my shelves of cookbooks....

    ReplyDelete
  10. I already have a stack of blank journals that are being wasted on me, but maybe my guilt over winning this one will keep me from wasting it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always enjoy a new post on here! Keep a journal? Hmmm, I've sometimes thought I should. Maybe a new one by my bed would inspire me?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I suppose every writer should have a journal. I've recommended it various times in writer's meetings, etc. But I must confess that I've never actually kept one myself. So maybe I've just been fooling myself. Maybe I'm not a writer. But maybe with a nice new journal that would change? But I'd have to write that in long hand wouldn't I? I need a journal with a keyboard....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Here's an entry for Ruth Hochstetler who could not get her comment to post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. And here's an entry for Lucy Yoder Hackman.
    If any of the rest of you have trouble posting your comments, if you'll contact me some other way, I will post your name for you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Here's an entry for Lorraine Moser. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. That was entirely delightful to read! I got all teary over the part of you in your wheelchairs! Its so very close to reality for so many ppl... Working with home health I see a lot of beautiful love stories like this and it ALWAYS makes me wax sappy :)

    p.s. I would probably not use a journal like that, I have a hundred note books that float around and get scratched in from time to time, but I could give it away as a lovely gift :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Marilyn Leid, this is your entry!

    ReplyDelete
  18. And Hilda Barnhart tried to no avail!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great post...I enjoyed "reading your diary"!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I haven't journaled for a few years, but if I win this one I'll make sure it is filled up someday!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think of my blogs as my "journals" but never really thought about the fact that one day they might be obsolete....then what? :/ I really should think more about "paper journaling"!! Thanks for the reminder....loved your post! Especially the part about reading journals together at 80! :D
    Would love to win a nice journal!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Just so Scott realizes that I'm still in my winning streak...... I think the journal will be mine. :-) I enjoyed your post, Rhonda!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I used to write all the time, in diaries and/or journals. Then I started blogging. And then...I don't know why...I stopped it all. I've been wanting to start again; I miss writing. Maybe it wasn't just happenstance that caused me to click on your blog today in my bookmarks folder?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi, Rhonda! Enjoyed your "Drumbeats"! I never kept a journal or diary before; I guess I could give it a shot. I'm sure mine would never be as entertaining as yours. Denise

    ReplyDelete
  25. This entry is for Annora Nelson. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Enjoyed this very much and I'd love to win a journal!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beverly Maldaner Gingerich, this entry is for you!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I used to keep diaries in my younger days and it is entertaining to go back and re-read them! I should start again especially since I have children! Loos like a lovely book!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Don't know you Rhonda, other then thru Ira Wagler's FB. I enjoy your outlook in Life and how you write about it. It is uplifting to me. You are a wonderful person, daughter, wife and mom.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I enjoy journaling, and it is very revealing to go back and read them over again. I was shocked at some of the things I remember are not the way I remember them!! I've kept a daily diary/journal since I was 14 and have boxes of them.

    ReplyDelete
  31. My knee-high journal stack is the first thing I would throw out my window if my house were on fire.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I could never stick with a journal growing up. The one I still have spans many years over only a handful of pages. My 10 year old daughter, on the other hand, has faithfully written in her journal daily for almost two years.

    She shares it freely with the rest of us...such sweet memories! She has such an endearing style of writing.

    The journal would be for her...for us!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I've kept a diary for the last 20 years or more (I would have to dig them out to make sure). I really like a 3- or 5-year diary so that I can glance back at the past few years and think about what was happening in my life then. My Grandpa Lloyd Horst kept a diary most of his life, and it is a treasure. I would encourage anyone to just do it! Rosetta Gingerich

    ReplyDelete
  34. I may be too late but will enter anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  35. This is an entry for Talitha Lepp!

    If anyone wishes to enter and has trouble e-mail me at rjstrite@gmail.com. and I'll enter for you!
    The contest will end at noon on Monday February 10, 2014, EST. So enter this weekend if you wish to enter!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I would use it to log my unpleasant encounters at MD. Kidding! I would give it as a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Enjoyed the post...=) Your sense of humor makes me smile...I love journaling (and looking back...)

    ReplyDelete
  38. What happens in your life, and your reactions to things, is always surprising to read years later, I have found.

    ReplyDelete