Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Going Home

I had a built-in sidekick in the form of my younger brother, Jeff. One of our common ventures was creating hideouts. We built them anywhere we could find a good place. In hedgerows, barn rafters, out of scrap wood in some remote field corner,  in the branches of trees. We once started building one out of mud. We had grand visions of building a whole village of mud houses, but never got beyond the foundation of the first house. It was too much like work.
We made plans in our hide-outs. Dream and Imagination were king and queen. From them, we spied on the unsuspecting world.
In the particular instance I am recalling here, we had built one of these hideouts...somewhere. It must have been fantastic, because I clearly remember the general excitement we had about it....and hitting upon the glorious plan of asking Mother if we could sleep out in it that night. She said yes, and we promptly set to hauling out all the things we'd need. Blankets, pillows, flashlights...we hauled them out load after haphazard load, wild with anticipation.

Evening approached, and somewhere along the way a thought sprouted in my mind: it was dark outside at night. What if I didn't feel as excited about this in the dark as I did right now? What if it seemed more creepy than cozy in there with all the pillows and flashlights and shifting shadows? What if we heard noises? What if Mother would tell us we'd hauled all that stuff out there and we had to face our fears and sleep out there no matter what? What then???

 I didn't know. I had to know.  I had to know if I was going to be stuck out there with no recourse, and nothing but a little brother for protection, in case of emergency.

I crept up beside her and asked her very quietly, "Mother? If we get scared tonight, is it okay if we come in?"

She had been busy with her housework, and we had been so enthusiastically implementing our sleep-out plans! This was certainly an about-turn! She turned to me a bit startled. Then with a bit of a catch in her voice said, "Honey...you can always come home. Never forget that."

Mother has moved several times since I've married and left home, but no matter where she's made her abode, any morning I wake under her roof and the aroma of breakfast is wafting from the kitchen, I'm her girl again and she's my mother. Home is where mother is, that's what.

Yesterday, Mother moved one last time. We came to know this move was relatively imminent and inevitable last fall when she was diagnosed with stage 4 ovarian cancer. It was incurable, they said.
In these last months I have grieved and grieved again the losses her passing must bring, not the least of which is never being able to go home again.

And I've thought more than once of what she told me there that summer afternoon, and how it is now no longer true. I can never go home again.  No more walking in her door, drawing in the familiar aroma of her house, talking together by the light of her lamps, or waking under her roof with the smell of pancakes floating from the kitchen.
She's gone, leaving a vacuum as big and silent as the night sky.

The tears flow from a heart that feels like a stone within me. Heavy. Hard. No more mother. No more going home. Oh Mother!...Mother!
The future stretches before me sadly devoid of her reliable and steady maternal input.
But suddenly from my puddle, I hear her voice again as gentle and reassuring as it was back then.... "Honey, you can always come home. Never forget that."

Oh yes, Mother! We can! And we will! We'll be leaving here as soon as we can get packed up and on the road. I'm not sure when we'll get there. It might be late; don't wait up. Just leave the door unlocked and the light on, and we'll see you in the morning.






12 comments:

  1. Rhonda, your mother was such a special lady, and even though I only have one time that I recall having talked to her on the phone, she was always such a pleasant person definitely a woman of God.
    Know we care and are praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post made me cry. I know the hearts anguish that you are facing. Yes, we can go HOME to be with our mothers someday. Thank God! Praying for you and (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rhonda - That is beautiful! Sad, but beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, sweet Rhonda, I don't know you in person - only through your witty and always logical comments on Ira Wagler's Facebook page. So so sorry to hear about the loss of your mama. There are no good words that I could say right now that will make it all better. I do promise that one day you'll smell something wonderful that will remind you of home and you'll smile instead of cry. How blessed you were to have her and by the love you're showing, that she was to have you! Big hug to you ~ Beth (Derrington) Russo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your thoughts were exactly my thoughts when my mother was diagnosed with cancer 18 years ago. I grieved more for her before her death than I did after--not that I didn't grieve, not that there were no tears--just that the major issue of NEVER being able to go home again had been processed. As a single woman, I had left home so many times and always knew that I could always move back if I didn't make it on my own--at least until that diagnosis. My prayers are with you all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing this with us!!! Your mother was an amazing and beautiful woman!! As I read this I could see and almost smell the smells... May Jesus hold you as you mourn for her...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed your account of hideouts, and your mother's matter-of-fact letting you be children. Aunt Ruth was an inspiration to me for taking what life dealt to her and making the best of it. She was always interested and had thoughtful comments about what was happening to me. I'm so sad to have her gone, and to be missing her funeral. Please know that I will always treasure her memory. Love and prayers, Marvin

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rhonda asked me to share here my post on another forum about her mother.

    Rhonda's mom was a long time employee where I work. I had the wonderful privilege of sharing office space with her for a few years; we had many delightful discussions about everything under the sun and above it. Her interests were wide and her wisdom was deep. She introduced me to books I'd never read (Shadrach, fairest of ten thousand to my soul) and thoughts I'd never thought. Everybody here loved her, and co-workers, from the chairman of the board to the newest employee, were always stopping by her office to chat, to imbibe at her bottomless well of wisdom, love, faith, advice, and humor. And opinions. She always had an opinion. Not the kind she felt everybody else was entitled to. But the kind she owned firmly as truth and you were free to take or leave as you liked. Her love and acceptance never hinged on your agreeing with her.

    She was always interested in people's lives - what they were doing, what they were thinking, dreaming, hoping. And she remembered. And cared. An irresistible combination. As a co-worker said, "She met people where they were." He told about her sharing some sheet music with him when she discovered his interest in singing. That was classic her. Ruth left a rich legacy of written works, but her greatest legacy was her living example of how to live life.

    Her life and death bring this poem to mind:

    "So live, that when thy summons comes to join
    The innumerable caravan which moves
    To that mysterious realm where each shall take
    His chamber in the silent halls of death,
    Thou go not, like the quarry-slave at night,
    Scourged by his dungeon; but, sustain'd and soothed
    By an unfaltering trust, approach thy grave,
    Like one who wraps the drapery of his couch
    About him, and lies down to pleasant dreams."

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks muchly, Ava! That is a lovely tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I fell into your blog today and this post touched my heart tremendously. Thank-you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just saw your comment, HIsaac. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete