Monday, January 30, 2012

Successful Sermon Survival

Yesterday was Sunday. We had church twice. Once in the morning and once in the evening, and each service we heard a sermon.
There is no end to the things we need to learn and be reminded of, so sermons are good, I'm sure. I enjoy a good sermon, and I am so glad, because there was a time when I did not.
A time when my feet could not touch the floor when I was sitting on the bench.
A time when the clock hands crawled with sloth-like movements.
A time when preachers used odd language they never used otherwise. The words I remember most vividly are these: "Is it not?" No one ever says this in real life, but the preacher would say it often.
"It is a privilege to be here this another Lord's Day morning, is it not?" "
"This is a good reminder for us today, brothers and sister, is it not?" etc.

I might have a lousy memory, but this I clearly recall: I hated sitting in church during a sermon.

Sometimes church was interesting, I enjoyed the singing and hearing my mother's rich alto voice. I did wish she would sing soprano. It seemed like soprano was the part the best women sang, but she sang alto. Despite this, I still liked to hear her.

Occasionally there was childrens' meeting. This was as close to entertainment as church services ever got...except for when we'd sing "If Ye Then With Christ Be Risen" and Bro. Derstine's tenor voice would reach for that high note on "Ri-sen" in the chorus. I loved that. But childrens' meeting was really good, too.

Surviving a sermon, though, took special skills. They admittedly had to be very subtle skills, because any obtrusive survival techniques were swiftly dealt with by Mother. She was not an unkind person, but she believed in behaving in church. And she did not believe her children needed to take anything to church save the Word of God.

Other children's mom's did not see it this way, apparently. I remember Lisa especially. She had her own purse, and it was stocked with survival gear. Lisa seemed to me like a princess with divine privileges.  I watched her with awe and envy, as she pulled things like embroidered hankies and writing tablets and pencils from her purse. Lisa, no doubt, loved sermons.

But I was not altogether without recourse. I remember, for instance, counting the tiles on the ceiling. Counting them from side to side was easy enough. Counting them from front to back was trickier, because turning around was not okay, and if you were caught, there were consequences, so you had to count the ones behind you very surreptitiously. It could be done. I successfully counted the ceiling tiles many times.

Finding the mailboxes in my copy of the Word of God was another great favorite. In some Bibles, the beginning of each paragraph is marked with a mailbox... at least that's what it looked like to me. Finding mailboxes was a lifesaver and never frowned on. I even remember finding mailboxes with my friend Roger once, when he was sitting beside me. Roger's dad was the preacher so it must have been okay. (Roger's mom sang soprano).

Also, my little Bible had pictures in it. The one I remember most vividly was the picture of Judas betraying Jesus with an army of soldiers behind him with torches lighting the night sky. There were probably six pictures all told, and I could look at them as long as I pleased...and did....but no matter how long I looked at them the sermon lasted longer still.

Perhaps the most useful thing about the pictures though, was that the back side of each page with a picture was blank. I drew pictures on the blank sides. I still can't believe Mother let me do this, but she did. The pictures are still there to prove it.

As I mentioned before, turning around was not okay, and I apparently risked it too often, because Mother came up with a plan to stop it. If she caught me turning around, she very calmly poked one finger into my ribs. If I turned around twice, two fingers. Three times, three fingers. However many finger pokes I accumulated till the end of the service was how many licks I got with her "magic wand" when we got home, unless, by some stroke of unbelievable luck she forgot about it between the sermon and the spanking. I tried to be very, very good in the interim so as not to attract any attention whatsoever to my existence. It worked, sometimes.

Childhood really is not for the faint of heart. It takes a lot of strategy and long-suffering and bravery.

Today, our church has no ceiling tiles; my Bible has no pictures; It doesn't even have mailboxes.
But that's okay, because somewhere along the line, I learned to love church, including the sermons.
And that's a beautiful thing, is it not?













10 comments:

  1. So what have you done differently for your children?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep it up Rhonda :) I love your style of writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the part of your story about the high tenor ri-sen. As a little girl, my oldest daughter always made it known how dumb that sounded. Now 20 some years later, we always trade glances and smiles in church when that song is sung. She laughed so hard when I read to her what you wrote.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're bringing back memories of my survival strategies. If I was lucky, there was a funeral home fan in the rack with a picture of the Good Shepherd or the Last Supper. The Church Hymnal kept me busy with statistical analysis. Who wrote the most hymns? Fannie Crosby? Isaac Watts? Who was the oldest author? Bernard of Clarivoux? Wow, he must be old he didn't even have a last name. Where was Clarivoux? Was he even a Mennonite?
    And I would practice holding my breath, count the revolutions of the ceiling fans, study the journeys of Paul maps in my Bible. . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoa! Amaranth, you had killer survival skills. You should consider writing a manual for those with lesser skills.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And speaking of odd language, I would analyze the prayers of the old preachers to see how closely they could stick to the King James English. Most of them used a sloppy mixture "We thank Thee for this another day and pray that You would bless our service" But there was one preacher, not even a very old one, who almost always got it right. Wouldst, art, canst, hearest . . .

    Sorry about the obscure user name. Got to figure out how to fix that.
    -Wesley

    ReplyDelete
  7. At the time we attended the church with the ceiling tiles I was pretty young. We moved from there soon after my seventh birthday, so my skills were pretty elementary.
    But the Chief and I were just recently discussing the King James English pray-ers. They still abound. I wonder if it tickles God.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just found your blog tonight thanks to Hans Mast. You are a very talented writer. I even had my husband come upstairs to read this one and we laughed out loud together. Surely mad eus remember our own childhood in the pew. He said you "should be glad you did not attend the church where he was raised (a non-Mennonite background church) had a large stone in the front with people who died "in the service" (meaning the armed service)"

    Now, we serve as Anabpatist missionaries and our children sit through services with us in a simple jungle house. I wonder what they are counting? Last Sunday, my four year old leaned over and whispered, "Momma I do not like this church because we sing too many songs here."
    Bless her heart. Yet in the end, how thankful we are for growing uo in church and that eventually we did like learn to like the sermons. You agree, do you not?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. And yes, I really am thankful I had parents who cared enough to take me to church. And also for good sermons.

      Delete